Wahkiakum County
About Us
Contact Us
Sheriff Wahkiakum County






** Now Accepting Applications for Reserve Deputies **

see application process below


Are you interested in becoming a Reserve Deputy?

Contact the Wahkiakum County Sheriff's Office and ask for Wahkiakum County Reserve Coordinator Paul Carlson. Applications may be downloaded below.  If you are unable to print an application one can be obtained at the Sheriff's Office.

News article from the Longview Daily News (TDN) featuring Wahkiakum S.O. Reserve Deputies

A Reserve Deputy must attend an Academy that is a minimum of 220 hours in length. The Reserve Academy curriculum adopted by the Commission is designed similar to that of the Basic Academy, including student performance objectives for each instructional block. It is designed to provide reserves with the basic knowledge and skills required for safe, proper and effective law enforcement service. Instructional blocks include: Criminal Law and Procedure, Communications Skills, Crisis Intervention, Defensive Tactics, Patrol Procedures, Criminal Investigations, Evidence Law, Firearms, including range qualifications, EVOC, Use of Force, Ethics, Civil Liability and First Aid. 

Graduates of those Academies which have been approved by the Training Commission and who, upon academy completion, pass a certification examination developed and administered by the Commission, will receive the state's basic reserve officers certificate. Such certification satisfies the basic training requirements for reserve officers under the Washington Aid Peace Powers Act
, RCW 10.93.090.

As a precondition to the exercise of extra-territorial enforcement powers under the Washington Mutual Aid Officer Powers Act, RCW 10.93.090, an individual who is commissioned as a reserve officer must possess a Basic Reserve Certificate issued by the Training Commission. That certificate is issued to any successful attendee of an accredited Basic Reserve Academy.

WAC 139-05-810 Basic training requirements for reserve officers

“Reserve Officer” includes any law enforcement officer who does not serve as a law enforcement officer of this state on a full-time basis, but who when called into active service, is fully commissioned on the same basis as full-time officers to enforce the criminal laws of this state.

Steps to becoming a Reserve Officer:

1. Application can be picked up and must be submitted to the Wahkiakum County Sheriff’s Office.

2. Applicant:
a. Must be 21 years of age
b. Have no felony convictions
c. Have no conviction of crimes that would prohibit a Washington citizen from the legal right to possess a firearm
d. Meet the requirements of WAC 139-05-810

3. Once the application is accepted, and a “conditional offer of employment” is made to the reserve applicant, the applicant must take and successfully pass a psychological examination and a polygraph test administered pursuant to RCW 43.101.105 (2)(a) (i) and (ii).

4. The applicant must successfully complete a Basic Reserve Officer Academy, normally conducted by the sponsoring agency, or in cooperation with other law enforcement agencies.

5. Upon completion of the Basic Academy requirements, the applicant must successfully pass the final Reserve examination proctored by the Commission, at which time a Reserve Certificate will be issued by the Commission.

6. Exemptions from the training requirements of Reserve officers can be requested by the employing agency under WAC 139-05-030.

Frequently Asked Questions about Reserves

Question:  Can Reserve’s serve as full-time officers? 
Answer: Reserve officers, by definition are other than full-time officers, and are not be used in lieu of a certified Washington peace officers.

Question:  Can Reserves be compensated? 
Answer: Some agencies do compensate reserve officers for the time they serve. Reserves are considered at will employees or paid volunteers and as such they are not entitled to certain benefits or retirement systems such as LEOFF II. Agencies have employed persons with reserve commissions, but compensated then as city or county employees in another capacity.

Question:  If I was a reserve officer or a fully commissioned officer in another state can my training and certificate be transferred? 
Answer: Yes, however that is up to the agency that accepts you as a reserve. There is currently no equivalency process for reserves, therefore exceptions to the training requirements must be submitted by the law enforcement agency, and negotiated with the Commission.

Question:   How long does my Reserve certificate stay current? 
Answer: Once you have been certified as a Reserve officer, your certificate stays current unless you have a break or interruption in service as a commissioned reserve for more than twelve months. A break in service of more than two years, or employment as a Reserve with a different agency will require the applicant to successfully complete the psychological and polygraph test.

Question:  Is there an Equivalency process to become a Reserve Officer? 
Answer: No, not at this time.

| Home | Directory | About Us | Services | Contact Us |
Copyright 2010 Wahkiakum County All Rights Reserved. Problems? Webmaster

Design Copyright ©  True Automation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.



Search this site Map Home Property Search