Wahkiakum County Superior Court Divorce by Mail
If you live in Washington State, you can file, by mail, an Agreed/Uncontested divorce in Wahkiakum County and your presence will not be required when the Ex Parte fee is paid. In Washington, a divorce action is initiated when one spouse (the Petitioner) files a petition for dissolution of marriage in a Washington State Superior Court. (The other spouse is called the Respondent.)
Parties can choose one of the following methods to prepare the necessary divorce paperwork for filing:
- Contact our office to have a pre-printed packet of forms mailed to you:
- Pre-printed packets for a Divorce Without Children are $20.00, (which includes postage).
- Pre-printed packets for a Divorce With Children are $30.00, (which includes postage).
- Visit www.courts.wa.gov/forms/ to download and print the necessary forms at no charge; or www.washingtonlawhelp.org to download packets that include instructions and forms to complete also at no charge. This website now also has a new “Do-It-Yourself” Forms link that will allow you to prepare and print certain forms.
- Pay an Online Divorce Service to prepare your documents to send to you to sign/date and then mail to the court for filing. NOTE: If you choose to use an Online Divorce Service, the fees you pay to them are for their service alone and do not include the required court filing fees to file your divorce case in Wahkiakum County Superior Court.
- Retain an Attorney or Professional Legal Service.
(Please click on Instructions for Filing for Divorce by Mail for the complete printable version)
- Filing Fee $294.00
- Ex Parte Fee $ 30.00 (This fee is paid for the Judge to review your divorce file in chambers, without parties having to schedule a court hearing to finalize the divorce).
- Copy Fees are required to be paid if you want copies of any of the Final Divorce Orders that are file stamped and signed by the Judge - See Copy Fee Schedule* on last page.
- Fees can be paid by check or money order and all fees including copy fees can be totaled together into one payment.
The following is a list of minimum requirements to start the Divorce action and begin the State-mandated 90-day waiting period.
- $294.00 Filing Fee
- Confidential Information Form
- Petition for Divorce (Dissolution)
- Self-addressed/postage paid envelope to return the pink form indicating your court assigned case number, scheduled dissolution date, documents received and payment receipt.
The remaining required documents and fees can be mailed in before the set dissolution date. Most clients find it is easier to send in all the necessary paperwork at the time of filing, with all the necessary fees (all fees may be paid in one check or money order).
Important things to keep in mind when filing in Wahkiakum County:
- Only send in the Original Documents with original ink signatures, we do not accept copies for filing. You can send copies if you want them conformed and mailed back to you when the divorce is final.
- Do not fill in the case number on your documents, we will write in the case number once you are assigned one in Wahkiakum County. If you have used an online divorce service, the case number they provide you with is not your court assigned divorce case number.
- The court will only accept documents printed on one side of the paper. Any documents printed on both sides of the paper will not be filed and they will be returned to be printed properly and re-submitted.
- The Court does not complete any of the documents for you, review all documents carefully before sending them and be sure every section of every document has been completed.
- Verification of Findings of Facts – this is the form that each party must have their signature witnessed and notarized on by a public notary per our Local Court Rules, NOTE: your signatures on all signed documents must match your witnessed and notarized signature.
- Send 2 self-addressed/postage paid envelopes; one to mail the pink form and payment receipt confirming the filing of your case, and a larger envelope to mail any prepaid copies back to you in when the divorce is final.
- We do not notify you when your divorce is final and we only mail copies of final paperwork if copies are paid for; paid copies are mailed to the person who paid for the copies in the provided self-addressed/stamped envelope.
- Instructions for Filing Divorce by Mail
- Divorce without Children Checklist
- Divorce with Children Checklist
- Verification of Findings of Facts - WA State
- Verification Form for Notarization - Any State
- Document Copy Request Form
- Payment Instructions (PDF)
- Family Law Handbook - Marriage Edition
- Family Law Handbook - Domestic Partnership Edition